"Eat...Walk...Learn...Eat....Eat....EAT" New York City Off The Beaten Path Tip by amp716

New York City Off The Beaten Path: 997 reviews and 1,314 photos

I can proudly say I am always a lover of two things: New York City, and food. And food in New York City, well, that's a jackpot winning combination. But with the quick-paced-schedule, black-clothes-street-shuffle, and time-is-money New York City mentality, it is easy to put your blinders on and forget what lays beyond the Starbucks on every street corner. I have lived in NYC for years, and I embarrassedly admit that my meals out once became a humdrum of deli salads and sandwiches. If you've ever been to a deli in NYC then you know I was eating well, and cannot complain, but I forgot about the possibility of more. Then I found Foods of New York Tours.

The company has been around since 1999, and provides food tasting and cultural walking tours throughout several of New York City's most historic neighborhoods. They give a non-touristy experience, and after a 3 hour tour, your stomach is filled with amazing food, and your head with enough knowledge to impress any crowd.

Since discovering these tours, I have been on every one. There's the Greenwich Village, Chelsea Market/Meatpacking, Central Village/Soho, and Chinatown. Each is distinct, and each is wonderful, all with tourguides who are funny and informative. My groups have been collections of tourists and natives, and each party enjoys the tour equally. Every morsel of food tried (of which there was plently!) was delicious and highly memorable.

Foods of New York Tours reminded me of the heart and soul of New York City that becomes so easily overlooked. I implore anyone who is visiting the city for the first time to take a break from the Statue of Liberty and Times Square, and try a tour that will show you New York as its meant to be known. If you are a native New Yorker, I promise you these tours will open your eyes and strengthen your pride for such an amazing place.

othercontact: info@foodsofny.com
Phone: 917-408-9539
Website: http://www.foodsofny.com/

• Written Jan 19, 2010

Ranked Member

Have you been to New York City?