"Sleeping Train from Cairo to Luxor or Aswan" Egypt Transportation Tip by gallivanting1

Egypt Transportation: 358 reviews and 302 photos

We booked a berth on the Sleeping Train from Cairo to Luxor and while we got a bed, the train itself wasn't worth the price over the sleeping seats they offer on the regular train. The sleeping train includes breakfast in the price. We found ourselves in two compartments with another gentleman. My husband shared the room with him and I shared the room with the two boys (aged 9 and 10). I was hassled repeatedly because I did not pay for the 2nd boy as there was no bed for him and they said the train was full. Eventually, the porter ceded and it went no further. He got us an extra blanket and one of the boys slept on the floor of the room. Now that we got all of that worked out, it was just a matter of getting some sleep and I swear the engineer was a rookie because every stop we made we were jerked awake but either the sudden acceleration or slamming on the brakes. You never knew which direction you'd be jerked to and with the narrow beds there was a good chance you'd be thrown from your bunk.

While not worth the price, it is still better than the sleeping seats on the regular train - even the 1st class sleeping seats.

Type: Train
Website: http://www.sleepingtrains.com/

• Updated Jan 12, 2010

More Transportation in Egypt (1)

“A man belongs where he settles, and not where he grew up. Where he is now and not where he was born. - Arabic proverb”

Ranked Member