"A very fine market." Top 5 Page for this destination Prachuap Khiri Khan Off The Beaten Path Tip by planxty

Ban Singkohn Market, Thailand.
by planxty

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I absolutely adore Asian markets and this one is an absolute beauty. It is situated in the village of Ban Singkohn, ordinarlily a sleepy place on the border with Burma. However, on a Saturday, it is completely tranformed from the place I had been the day before.

What a difference a day makes, as they say. The place was absolutely humming in contrast to the day before. What happens is that Burmese people come across the border and set up stalls selling virtually everything at prices which are ludicrously cheap, even by Thai standards. There were a few travellers there but the vast majority of the visitors were locals looking for a bargain, and there were certainly plenty to be had. The most ridiculous price I saw was one stall selling mens underwear at five baht each, which is about 11 pence. How they can physically produce goods at these prices is beyond me, although there must be a profit in it somewhere. A pair of cargo pants could be had for about £3, and when I checked the label on a denim shirt that caught my eye, I was amazed to find it had been made in Egypt of all places. In the end, I settled for a pair of RayBan sunglasses, obviously the genuine article, for the princely sum of just under £2.

If you do not have your own transport, a motorcycle taxi here from PKK should cost about 250 - 300 baht. If you are driving, head South on Highway 4 and it is well signposted. It really is worth seeing.

• Written Jan 12, 2010

Comments

planxty

“Where's the bar?”

Have you been to Prachuap Khiri Khan?