"Look out for the details" Cathedral - Kölner Dom Tip by christine.j

Cathedral - Kölner Dom, Cologne: 190 reviews and 352 photos

Update June 2015:
After many, many times in the cathedral I've only now found out why the shrine of the three wise kings sometimes can be seen quite close and sometimes only from afar through a fence. I realised that I always used to be there on a Saturdayafternoon, when there is confession time in the cathedral and when the entrance to the shrine is cut off by an extra fence. During the week it is open and you can get much closer . So if you want to take a good picture, make sure you visit on a weekday.

Apart from the shrine of the three wise kings,which everybody tries to get a glimpse of, there is so much more to see in the cathedral.
Whenever I'm in Cologne I step into the cathedral and discover some new detail I haven't seen before. This time I decided to really look at the carvings on the benches, aren't they beautiful? Since it's so dark inside the cathedral, I had to use flash and could only see most details later at home on the computer. My favourites are the reading boy and the reading woman, but I also like the little devil very much.

Address: Cathedral benches
Directions: You cannot miss the cathedral in Cologne, it can be seen from almost all over the city.
Phone: 0221 92 58 47 20
Website: http://www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=19167&L=1

• Updated Jun 14, 2015

christine.j Visits Here Frequently!

“there's so much to see and learn”

Have you been to Cologne?