"A very upmarket market." Top 5 Page for this destination Luang Prabang Things to Do Tip by planxty

Luang Prabang Things to Do: 461 reviews and 1,015 photos

Dara Market, Luang Prabang, Lao.
by planxty

Anyone who has read some of my VT pages knows that I love markets. I hate shopping and rarely buy anything in them but I absolutely adore pottering about markets, especially those of Southeast Asia. There is something about the vibrancy, noise and sheer life of the places that really appeals to me. However, in it's apparent attempt to "sanitise" Luang Prabang for the supposed benefit of tourists, the local authorities have constructed Dara Market. It is certainly very clean, very ordered and full of rather upmarket outlets, mostly of the clothing and jewellery variety, in short exactly what I left home not to see. I honestly might as well have gone to a shopping centre (mall) on the outskirts of London or any othe Western city.

I do not wish to decry the Lao peoples wish to modernise their country at all but it all just appeared rather soulless to me. In a country where social interaction is so much a part of the fabric of life, the place was almost silent and nearly deserted if truth be told. It contrasted so starkly with the bustling, noisy morning Phousi Market that I also visited with it's noise, clutter and yes, smells.

Directions: On Kisarath Settanhirat (the main street out of town) at the junction with Kingkitsarath Road.

• Updated Oct 25, 2014

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to Luang Prabang?