"Fabriano, finest paper art (Marche)" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Shopping Tip by Trekki
Italy Shopping: 80 reviews and 151 photos
Fabriano, sadly a rather unknown town in western Marche, is THE place to buy finest paper and paper art. The best selection can definitely be found in Museo della Carta e della Filigrana, that's where the history of watermark invention is displayed and shown. I could have bought everything? But I liked these little booklets in my main photo most: it has a size of 5x4 cm (and 2 cm thick) and is a model of a book with leather cover, a little string to ?close? the book and a magnificent decoration on the cover: letters, made with the technique of old book lettering. But they also have bookmarks, and little books (10x14 cm, each with a different kind of paper inside), albums, writing sets and much more.
Have a look at the paper museum?s website. Check their site map for links to the product groups, listed under ?shopping?. When I was in Fabriano (April 2008), a group of young artists had a small workshop inside of the museum. One of them made this wonderful leather booklet with old book lettering. I think, she has her own website now: Artincarta
Another shop I liked was Bartolini, just off Piazza del Comune (direction duomo and Pinacoteca, photo 4 and 5). I bought a nice album for a colleague?s wedding there.
Prices vary. They depend on the size and art skills of the products. Watermark bookmarks are between 3 and 5 ?, bigger watermarks can cost up to 10 ?. The small leather only booklet was 10 ?.
nearest airport: Ancona (Falconara), approx. 45 min ? 1 hour by car or train.
Location of Fabriano on Google Maps.
© Ingrid D., January 2010 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), update March 2011: location on Google Maps added.
Theme: Local Craft
More Shopping in Italy (10)
More Reviews (97)
- See All Marvellous old palazzo in middle Umbria
- See All ZTL: limited&controlled car traffic,...
- See All Don?t reduce Italy to the famous cities...
- See All Spello: Umbria?s flower town & amazing...
- See All Very cheerful cemeteries
- See All Delicious snacks: no need to look for...
- See All No warnings, just learn some "rules" :)
- See All While you are sightseeing
- See All Hiking in Alto Adige: enchanting
- See All Please not: M. di Blasi, Frances Mayes
- See All Madonna della Stella, with fascinating...
Been to Italy?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels