"Fabriano, finest paper art (Marche)" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Shopping Tip by Trekki

Italy Shopping: 80 reviews and 151 photos

I love that booklet, it is a piece of art!
by Trekki

I love that booklet, it is a piece of art!
    by Trekki
      Small leather booklet with handmade paper
    by Trekki
      Watermarks in or as bookmarks :-)
    by Trekki
      Other artistic bookmarks :-)
      Bartolini shop, inside
    by Trekki

Fabriano, sadly a rather unknown town in western Marche, is THE place to buy finest paper and paper art. The best selection can definitely be found in Museo della Carta e della Filigrana, that's where the history of watermark invention is displayed and shown. I could have bought everything? But I liked these little booklets in my main photo most: it has a size of 5x4 cm (and 2 cm thick) and is a model of a book with leather cover, a little string to ?close? the book and a magnificent decoration on the cover: letters, made with the technique of old book lettering. But they also have bookmarks, and little books (10x14 cm, each with a different kind of paper inside), albums, writing sets and much more.

Have a look at the paper museum?s website. Check their site map for links to the product groups, listed under ?shopping?. When I was in Fabriano (April 2008), a group of young artists had a small workshop inside of the museum. One of them made this wonderful leather booklet with old book lettering. I think, she has her own website now: Artincarta

Another shop I liked was Bartolini, just off Piazza del Comune (direction duomo and Pinacoteca, photo 4 and 5). I bought a nice album for a colleague?s wedding there.

Prices vary. They depend on the size and art skills of the products. Watermark bookmarks are between 3 and 5 ?, bigger watermarks can cost up to 10 ?. The small leather only booklet was 10 ?.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Region: Marche;
nearest airport: Ancona (Falconara), approx. 45 min ? 1 hour by car or train.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Location of Fabriano on Google Maps.

Ingrid D., January 2010 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), update March 2011: location on Google Maps added.

Theme: Local Craft
Website: http://www.museodellacarta.com/ing/setfiligrane.html

• Updated Aug 14, 2013

Comments

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Italy?