"An Amuzingly Awful Place to StayS" Soggiorno Elia Tip by vanhalld

Soggiorno Elia, Naples: 38 reviews and 0 photos

Soggiorno Elia is a B&B without the breakfast. The actual room is on a par with many I have stayein over the years, but these days I canneot safely climb stairs, and I got no help. The caretaker speaks five words of German and less of English. He is a proud Neapolitan and lives on the top floor. The room was adequate, but he tried to get in without announcing himself to retrieve someone's left luggage. He got upset with me that I turned on the Friodur to help get rid of the sweatiness from the stair climb. The neighbors played opera until 0230. In the morning I called him at 0800 to tell him I was leaving and ask what to do with the key. He said he would be down in five minutes. Fifteen minutes later I dropped the keys in their mailbox and made my way through the rotten garbage, feces and other filth reminiscent of 15th century cities bak to the train station. Be advised that there is not a single street sign within at least three blocks of the train station. The square is undergoing renovation in Jan 2010. I walked about two kilometers to get to the hotel late at night to get to a place that is line of sight of the train station square durung daylight; maybe 400 meters max. i asked a lot of locals for directions. Some told me wrong to amuse themselves. Some I just did not understand and some did not know. I gave up and asked an hotelier who was nice enough to use one of the languages I speak to get me where I was going.

Unique Qualities: No view. Tiny bath. No toilet seat for the spoiled who expect them. Exposed wiring with electrocution danger. The room was clean and there was no visible mold although I choked and coughed all night. Only a little od the wallpaper was peeling.

Address: Via Torino 53, , Campania, 80142, Italy
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Turn right just out of the train station entrance and follow via Torino to the end, if you can find via Torino with no signs.
Phone: 39 3295781660
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.soggiornoelia.it/

• Written Jan 4, 2010

“Too much to see, never enough time”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.