Residenza di Via Piccardi: "Dream stay 3, Gubbio: Residenza Via Piccardi" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Hotel Tip by Trekki

Italy Hotels: 384 reviews and 444 photos

My room
      The Residenza di Via Piccardi and garden
    by Trekki

I am so grateful to Edvige Galasso, my Italian teacher for her having suggested that I should stay at Residenza di Via Piccardi during my almost 2 week stay in Gubbio. It was? the best I could ever do. Not only is the residenza in the middle of town, only a few metres off Piazza 40 Martiri and with view to Palazzo dei Consoli from the garden, Federica Biagotti is also one of the sweetest hosts I ever had in any accommodation. She is always of help with any question, speaks French, English and a bit German and is the good soul and spirit of the house. She is there from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. with a break from noonish to 2 p.m. but while she is gone, she switches the phone to her mobile, so one can always reach her. During her noon and evening time she also locks the garden door (access to the house and rooms) which makes it a very secure place. But then Gubbio is a very safe city itself, no one would break into hotel rooms!
The rooms are located in the left and right wing of the house, an old stone house of 14th century, according to a stone with date at the house. It was a trader?s or farmer?s house, given the round arches which are still visible in the basement. Maybe a shop or a stable in the past. That?s very typical for Gubbio, by the way: these stones tell so many stories about the past life, incredible! My room was located above the little porch (see photo 5, view of the house) and I loved the view into the garden and the little street. Although it was not a single room but had a double bed (queen size), bathroom, big cabinet for the clothes and TV. Bring your own hairdrier although I am sure Federica has a spare one in case you forgot. There is no telephone in the room but enough possibilities to make phone calls in Gubbio (phone booths and the post office). But since I don?t need this in the days of mobile phones I didn?t miss it.

In case you want to come during the busy days (mid May, ceri festival, Christmas; New Year, the other festivals or Easter), make sure you email her or give her a call some months before. I was lucky to have reserved her last room for the time of Ceri festival already in October!

Unique Qualities: Unique qualities? I loved my stay here, every single day of it. And I cannot wait to come back in May. The place is a gem. Breakfast is served in the lobby at lovely decorated little tables and chairs. It is Italian breakfast though: croisssants, coffee (= caffè or cappuchino), orange juice but she also serves bread, jam and butter. The garden in huge and once you stand at the patio of Palazzo dei Consoli with a view over the town you will realise that gardens are not the norm. The space below the porch roof makes an excellent place to relax, read or have coffee.
In total, the residenza has 5 rooms plus one mini appartment (with kitchen). One morning when I was the only one staying here Federica showed me the other rooms above the lobby (see photos). These are of bigger size with an extra bed and much bigger, but then these are the true double rooms. I loved all of them and especially the charming decoration and furniture. These rooms in that old house have truly been renovated to perfection!!

I paid 30 Euro including breakfast which is in my opinion a bargain given the charming place and its sweet owner Federica. Double rooms are 50 Euro per room. Prices might be slightly higer in season times (35 ? for single and 60 ? for double rooms).

Location of Residenza dei Via Piccardi on Google Maps.

Region: Umbria
Nearest airport: Ancona (Falconara, code AOI, 45 min by car) or Roma (FCO or CIA, 2 hours by car).

© Ingrid D., January 2010, update (website and airports) March 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Address: Via Piccardi 12, Gubbio
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: From Piazza 40 Martiri, walk into Via Piccardi which is next to Loggia dei Tiratori (where the little bell is). It is at the next side street. Entrance in Via Piccardi.
Phone: +39 - 075 - 92 76 108
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Bed and Breakfast

• Updated Aug 13, 2013

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Italy?