Okaukeujo Resort: "inside Etosha & with a floodlit waterhole" Namibia Hotel Tip by smirnofforiginal

Namibia Hotels: 174 reviews and 264 photos

It was NOT at all easy to get booked into this resort and EVERY website and agency had a different price... not to mention they ALL wanted to offer me premium rooms which, looking at the price maed me say OUCH!

Obviously it is most convenient to stay inside the park - you only have the entry (paymentand form completions) once and with a lovely waterhole for night viewing you really get the maximum out of your visit.

The room was clean and comfortable. We had a family room and whilst on the map of the resort it looked to be as far from the waterhole as they could put us, it really was just a stones throw. There is a swimming pool which I sniggered at - like I was going to sit by a pool when there were lions and elephnats and kudu to look at... but being very tired on day 3 o Etosha with 2 restless children in the back of the car, the pool actually was a nice restbite for a while and certainly made the kids happy again.

The waterhole here is great and the viewing area is big enough to accommodate plenty of people so there is no mass panic to be the first person there. It was a most active waterhole and somebody told me it is the best waterhole of all of the resorts. As this was my only experience I cannot say if that is true but certainly I would go back to this one and most definitely I would recommend it!

Opinion - for the night waterhole experience I think you would have to go a long way to beat it.
But I was happy with one night at the waterhole - I was treated to so much there.
I stayed at other accommodation just outside the gate which (after one waterhole experience) I preferred and would return to (and was cheaper on the old wallet too!)

For a family room here, including breakfast I paid N$1916.67 (July 2009). I shopped around and did not book direct. This was a good price.

My only complaint - as you can park right outside the sleeping cabins, there was a lot of noisy coming and going. Why people have to TALK AT THE TOPS OF THEIR VOICES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WILL NEVER KNOW but, this particular group of travellers left their Land Rover lights on so I felt rather vindicated as we snuck off quietly!

Unique Qualities: inside the park and with a glorious floodlit waterhole.

Theme: Hotel

• Updated Jan 6, 2010

“Enter, traveller, into this immensity”

Have you been to Namibia?