"taking that ride to nowhere, we'll take that ride!" Namibia Transportation Tip by smirnofforiginal

Namibia Transportation: 83 reviews and 90 photos

we're on the road to nowhere ;-)
by smirnofforiginal

we're on the road to nowhere ;-)
    by smirnofforiginal
  • taking that ride to nowhere, we'll take that ride! - Namibia

Firstly this is a country where you simply MUST drive yourself. It is that simple and it is that easy and it is incredible!

You really want a 4x4. But, if for whatever reason you don't get one or cannot get one then you certainly want a high clearance 2-wheel drive and a tow rope. The roads are not a total disaster but it is better to be over prepared than stuck in the middle of nowhere ill equipped! Likewise ensure you do have at least one spare tyre. I never needed it but I bet had it I would have done!!!

You can take a hired car from Namibia into Botswana, South Africa and Zimbabwe because they all share the same insurance. However, mention Zimbabwe and all companies go into melt down and say NO NO NO! If you beg very nicely they will agree to you taking the car across to Zimbabwe to the town of Victoria Falls ONLY and on a strict NO OVERNIGHT POLICY!

Fill up with petrol at EVERY given opportunity... really, you can NEVER have enough petrol in your tank!

Always carry more water than you will ever be able to drink and foods that are not going to perish are a good thing to have about you too.... just in case.

Never get cockey on the roads... they really are all mostly dirt roads, built with uber German efficency but in vary states and just because you feel comfortable, you never know and can never see when that next KABOOMP in the road is going to be. You can never predict which animal will run out suddenly in front of you. It is impossible to realise that the next section of roads is heavily sanded and therefore twice as slippy.... GO EASY! I shall admit now to spinning my car a lovely 100 degrees much to the horror of my 9 year old son. My husband managed to take us on a little unintentional off-roading because he lost control on a particularly sandy bit of road. It happens!

The driving is LONG LONG LONG... and despite being a most wonderful and beautiful country, hours and hours across a desert and same-same looking landscapes can grow tedious. Coupled with the various states of the roads... be realistic in how far you can get in a day. The longest drive I did was a 7 hour killer... it was ncessary but not something I would recommend!

MAPS - Make sure you have a good map. I used one by a company called Mapstudio and it was perfect - totally up to date with most roads marked.
SATNAV - I had downloaded the whole of Southern Africa onto my TomTom, never having used it abroad befoer I thought it would be a prudent accessory for our mammoth journey... I probably relied a lot more heavily on the road maps than "Sheila" as we called her who got a little confused at times and didn't seem to know all the roads. Overall, a mixture of Sheila and map worked nicely.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Car/Motor Home

• Written Dec 30, 2009

Comments

smirnofforiginal

“Enter, traveller, into this immensity”

Have you been to Namibia?