"William S. Hart Park Mansion 1921" Newhall Things to Do Tip by Yaqui

Newhall Things to Do: 17 reviews and 61 photos

William S. Hart was a famous silent film cowboy star and director. He had this Spanish colonial Revival style 22 room mansion built in 1921, which cost back then $100,000 to build and chose a hill top within the Santa Clarita Valley part of Newhall. Back then he could earn about $100,000 a movie, so he was able to easily afford such a fabulous place. What is amazing is he chose to start a movie career at the age of 49. He retired eventually and lived at this home for twenty years till his death in 1946. The views from the hill top are beautiful. You can even see the Magic Mountain Tower from the ground level of the hill top. The have free tours daily. The home is still furnished with orginal furnishings and so many lovely mementos from his Hollywood days and the gifts his famous friends would give him. He willed his home and the surrounding ranch of 265 acres to the county for free use by the public. He felt since the public made him wealth, then he wanted his public to enjoy his wealth after he was gone. He was such a generous man.

Park Hours: Open Daily
Summer Hours – 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
(Mid June to early September)

Winter Hours – 8 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(Early September to Mid June)

Museum Hours: Free guided tours year round

Early - September to Mid -June
Wednesday - Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
(last tour at 12:30 p.m.)

Mid-June to Early-September
Wednesday - Friday, 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
(last tour at 3:30 p.m.)

Fondest Memory:
I've been to this park many times over the a span of years since being a young teenager. I was a die hard softball player and we use to compete with the other little leagues here and when in High School we would play against Newhalls high school. The school bus would stop at the park to let us off to blow off some steam, so this park has found memories for me. Yet, I could never get anyone to venture up to the mansion for the tour, not even when we would stop here on our motorcycles while young adults. So this time my lovely family made the hike up the hill with me and I took the tour and it was wonderful. The tour guides are knowledgable and friendly. It was fun to finally to see the house in person.

Address: 24151 Newhall Avenue, Newhall, Ca
Directions: Exit from Hwy 14 onto Newhall Road (Hwy 126) head north and stay to the left on the Y and the station will be on your left.
Phone: (661) 254-4584
Website: http://www.hartmuseum.org/

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Apr 6, 2014

Comments

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Have you been to Newhall?