"it would have to wait for another day" Top 5 Page for this destination Rocky Mountain National Park Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

Rocky Mountain National Park Favorites: 47 reviews and 53 photos

our imminent death awaits
by richiecdisc

Fondest memory: “Ignore the signs warning against glacier travel and slide on down, but be sure to get off before the end or you'll wind up in the lake,” he said matter-of-factly. The lake would be a glacial pool, just above freezing and would surely mean our imminent death. We looked at each other and said, “sure, we're game.” I might not have been so sure but Kristin always was. She had taken me on my first hike in her native Canada and just the year before we did one very hairy glacier hike in New Zealand though it had been guided. She was a bit of a dare devil and certainly more adventurous than me at the time.

The hike went like clock-work. Everything the ranger said is exactly how it happened. Though it wasn't a regular maintained trail, we carried it out just like it was. It was a long hike and it was exhilarating. We would do similarly extended hikes like this in Grand Teton, Olympic, and Yosemite National Parks and it was these walks that made me want to backpack which is what these trails were more suited for. The formed the crux of the chase that summer of 2008: to do them again but to do them better. Doreen and I had done just that in Yosemite, in Olympic, in Grand Teton. We even did it in other parks for good measure like Grand Canyon and Glacier. Only one park stood in our way of a complete sweep and that was where I sat watching the ducks bobble.

It was late in the season and the ranger explained that while the Andrews Glacier traverse was still possible in spring, it was not in September, the month of record. It had receded considerably since 1994 and she said that while it was more of a rock scramble than a true sliding experience, it could be done. We would just have to return another day. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

• Updated Dec 23, 2009

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Rocky Mountain National Park?