"Amazing Sight" Pier 39 Tip by SabrinaSummerville

Pier 39, San Francisco: 118 reviews and 211 photos

I had expected Pier 39 to be a pretty special place, but nothing could have prepared me for this total mish-mash of shops, restaurants, amusements, and wildlife.

The huge Christmas Tree and topiary reindeer at the entrance was just a suggestion of things to come. As I walked along the pier the attractively painted shops became more unusual, the restaurants (just starting to open for the day) beckoned with the wafting scents of garlic and seafood, and people jostled in the icy cold December morning to feast their eyes on this delightful spectacle.

I found myself facing the famous two tiered carousel. It wasn't as impressive as I'd expected, smaller perhaps, but there it was.

It's hard to miss Pier 39 as gigantic flags announce that you've arrived. Next door you will find the pier where you buy tickets for day trips to Alcatraz and boat trips around the bay and under the Golden Gate bridge.

We had only a very short time here. We intended to come back but never made it this trip. It is something I will continue to regret until I get here again.

Address: The Embarcadero at Beach Street
Directions: Fisherman's Wharf
Phone: (415) 705-5500
Website: http://www.pier39.com/home.cfm

• Written Dec 20, 2009

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Have you been to San Francisco?