Le Betulle: "Fave dei Morti, typical pastry in November" Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Shopping Tip by Trekki

Gubbio Shopping: 9 reviews and 23 photos

Oh yummm, delicious fave dei morti, all flavours

Oh yummm, delicious fave dei morti, all flavours
      Le Betulle, pastry shop in Gubbio, entrance
    by Trekki
      Cute - Seasonal cakes with "toadstool"
    by Trekki
      Cute - Seasonal cakes with "toadstool"
      Cute merengue ceraioli
    by Trekki

When I came back to Gubbio in autumn 2009, I was lucky to be able to try one of the typical seasons’ specialities. My Italian teacher Edvige told me about the fave dei morti (translates into beans of the dead) and that they are a typical pastry for All Souls Day (Nov 2). The little shop with the best fave dei morti is called Le Betulle and is located just a few metres northwest of Piazza Quaranta Martiri in Via Cavour. As soon as I entered this shop I was greeted with a delicious aroma of fresh baked products and saw that they had a big selection of fave dei morti. They came in flavours of wild berries, pistaccio, almonds (the typical one), lemon and many more. I could not help but buy 200 g of almost each flavour, which was good since they kept us well-fed during the next lessons. My favourites though were the wild berry ones. And they were very reasonable, 200 g for 1,40 €.

I come back to the shop anytime when I am in Gubbio for some delicious latte macchiato, caffè or bread. In October I saw these cute cakes in their refrigerator (see photos). They were just normal cakes with cream but decorated with the loveliest toadstools made of meringue and coloured red and dots of sugar pieces. Oh my, I had to resist buying one of these since it would have been too much for me.

In May they have another set of meringue pastry, this time ceraioli, the ones who carry the Ceri during the festivals: one for each cero group, see photo 5.

Le Betulle on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., November 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), update July 2010.

continue with next review => Fresh pasta to die for

Address: Via Carvour, Gubbio
Directions: The shop is easy to find. Just walk northwest from Loggia dei Tiratori. It is on your right hand side. The shop sign says: Panetteria, Pasticceria, Gelateria, Caffetteria.
Theme: Food and Drink

• Updated Aug 13, 2013

Comments

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Gubbio?