"A walk (sorry, slog) in the country" Arzachena Off The Beaten Path Tip by iandsmith

Arzachena Off The Beaten Path: 1 reviews and 5 photos

The rearing tortoise perhaps?
by iandsmith

The rearing tortoise perhaps?
      Looks like a seal to me
    by iandsmith
      You can work this one out
      Rocks stick out everywhere
      Life in the balance
    by iandsmith

In Australia we'd call it bush bashing; i.e. taking off in virgin bush and finding your own way.
So it was that on a back road between Arzachena and Cannigione I went up a side street, pulled up and headed off. The weather wasn't kind, light rain fell now and then and the wind was annoying at times but I had a time opportunity so I was taking it.
My aim was to get to a specific gap set on a hillside but, in the end, I never made it. I found myself stuck in thick scrub, luckily with old trails here and there, taking whatever route seemed practical.
In the end I saw some different rocks and also came across some covered stone fences. These are interesting because they date back to a time when there were no fences but when Sardinia was invaded a coouple of centuries ago people were told that they had to have boundaries or else.
Sadly, many of the rocks came from the Nuraghi sites and small stone fences popped up everywhere and you'll often come across them unexpectedly like I did.

• Written Dec 15, 2009

Comments

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Arzachena?