Four Farthings Tavern and Grill: "Cozy Place for a Sunday Brunch" Four Farthings Tip by riorich55

Four Farthings, Chicago: 2 reviews and 5 photos

Dining Area
      Dining Area
      Outside Entrance
      Four Farthings Building
      Sue's Omelette
      Rich's Crab Benedicts
    by riorich55

Sue wanted to go into the city for the December German Marketplace at the Daley Plaza so we decided to make a day of it by first going out for brunch after attending 8:30 a.m. church in Naperville. After a nice Sunday leisurely drive down the Stevenson Expressway into the city and a couple of photo stops at Navy Pier and OZ Park we found Four Farthings which is just about 2 blocks from OZ Park.

The nice thing that I have found out about going into the City of Chicago from our home in the suburbs is how relatively quiet Sunday mornings are in Chicago. I have been here several times over the past couple of years, since both our oldest sons live in the City, and have enjoyed walking around various parts of the town and trying out different places to eat. Four Farthings was the latest.

Armed with our $30 Groupon printout (which costs $15) we ventured into our Sunday morning retreat. Immediately upon walking in there is a bar area where several single patrons were enjoying meals. Walking toward the end of the bar and turning left brings you into a nicely decorated room where the open kitchen and about 12 tables are located. We took a table close to the windows so we could enjoy some of the natural light from the mostly sunny morning.

Favorite Dish: We had stopped on our way out of the suburbs for an earlier morning donut and cup of shared coffee, so we did not start out with a coffee. After a few minutes of looking over the menu Sue ordered the prosciutto, asparagus and mozzarella omelette that came with potatoes with a side order of bacon while I ordered the crab egg benedict with a glass of orange juice. Before our order came we were presented with a basket which consisted of 2 muffins, 2 mini bagels, cream cheese, butter and jelly. The poppyseed bagel I had was very fresh.

Both of our meals (pictured) were quite large and in fact since we were probably a little full from our earlier donuts we only finished about half. Sue's omelette was very tasty and the bacon (though a little more done then we liked) had a nice smoky taste (the bacon comes from a farm in Indiana). I was served 2 crab eggs benedict and a good selection of fresh fruit, so since I never eat a lot at one sitting, was ideal for me to take home as a left over.

Finally, before leaving I saw a wine on the wine list which I was curious about. It was a rioja which I figured was from Spain. I asked our waiter about the wine and said I was just curious and didn't want to order it. He said he would get me a small sample which turned out to be about 4 oz. A very full bodied red with a little sweetness. I drank the first 2 oz by itself and then mixed the other 2 oz with the remainder of my fresh squeezed orange juice which was very good. Needless to say with the free wine sampling, the waiter was provided with a nice tip.

Address: 2060 N Cleveland
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Right off Lincoln Avenue, just east of OZ Park
Phone: 1 773 935 2060
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Dec 7, 2009

riorich55 Visits Here Frequently!

“"There is no better high then discovery"”

Have you been to Chicago?