Hostel Atenas: "(Sevilla) Another very enjoyable hostel" Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Hotel Tip by Bwana_Brown

Andalucía Hotels: 48 reviews and 87 photos

Atenas entrance by a narrow one-way street
      Atenas entrance by a narrow one-way street
    by Bwana_Brown
      Nice hallway from the entrance to the front desk
      Our 3 single-beds as seen from the bathroom
      Our doorway view of Iglesia del Salvador
    by Bwana_Brown

We reserved two nights at Hostel Atenas over the internet a few weeks before setting off for Spain. Since Sue's sister was travelling with us at that stage of our trip, we booked a triple room with three single-beds and an attached toilet/shower for 70 Euros per night (or US$100 at the volatile exchange rate during the world financial crisis) for the three of us.

The hostel is a quiet spot yet located in the heart of downtown Sevilla - great for walking to the various nearby attractions, with Casa Pilatos located just a few steps away. Atenas has a tiny parking lot beside its entrance and there was usually only room for a single 'guest' car to stop long enough to unload the luggage on the side of the narrow one-way street running past the hostal (first two photos). After deliving the ladies and our luggage, I set off to find a nearby public parking garage - which ended up costing 18 Euros/day (and the traffic was no fun either!).

A buzzer beside the front door alerts the front desk to remotely open the steel gate, allowing entrance to a very nicely decorated hallway (2nd photo) that leads to the front desk. Located beside the front desk is a computer terminal that allows internet access at a rate of 1 Euro/hour and not far away is a vending machine that can dispense a few snacks and cool drinks (some of which are alcoholic). There are no lifts (elevators) so you had better be prepared to carry your luggage up the stairs yourself (just like in Granada) depending on whether you are on the Ground, 1st or 2nd floor! No meals are served at the hostel.

Unique Qualities: I did not mind having to carry our luggage up two floors, especially when I found that our room had a nice roof-top patio table and chair set! The room itself was very basic with its three single-beds and one closet beside the entrance door if you wanted to hang some clothes up. The unfamiliar Spanish air-conditioning unit mounted high up on the wall and operated by a remote control unit took a bit of getting used to, but we finally figured it out after having a bit of a chilly first night! The beds were comfortable, the room was quiet and the bathroom worked as advertised, so we never had any complaints about this relatively cheap lodging in the heart of Moorish Sevilla!

I enjoyed having the outside balcony. After our extensive wanderings to see the various sights on our only full day in town, I retired there to sit in the late-afternoon sun as I read a book I had brought with me and sipped on a glass of Spanish red wine! It was great to be able to sit outside with no real noise and to just look up at the distant spires of Iglesia del Salvador off in the distance. Yes I thought, this definitely beats Regina, Canada in winter!

Price Comparison: about average
Directions: In the old Moorish quarter, several blocks inland from the river but within easy walking distance to all the main attractions of downtown Sevilla
Phone: +34 954 218047
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hostel

• Updated Dec 8, 2009

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Have you been to Andalucía?