"VIII Arr: Musée Jacquemart André" Paris Off The Beaten Path Tip by Elisabcn

a nice courtyard at the entrance

a nice courtyard at the entrance
      the entrance
    by Elisabcn

This magnificent Hôtel was built for Edouard André in 1875 to allow him and his wife, Nélie Jacquemart, to indulge their shared passion for art. Upon Nélie?s death, this beautiful residence and its collections were bequeathed to the Institut de France, which opened them up to the public in 1913, while managing to preserve their uniqueness. The Museum presents the finest private collection of artistic masterpieces in Paris, bathed in the atmosphere of a grand 19th century Hôtel. I have seen until now two exhibitions: the Italian Primitives and the Brukenthal collection and both of them were great, high quality exhibitions. But the Hôtel itself deserves your visit: saloons and saloons decorated with masterworks basically from French and Italian Schools.
My favourite room is without any doubt the winter garden with its beautiful staircase and the ceiling decorated with Tiepolo?s frescoes.
Before leaving take a look at its small bookshop, you will always find something interesting about the exhibition or Arts in general.
Ah! Last time I visited this museum I saw a kind of tiny visitor?s guidebook which for only 1 euro (or 1,5 euros now I don?t remember) you will have a small description of the main works in the exhibition. I don?t know if they do this mini guide for all the exhibitions but I found it a nice idea!
This is a private museum and tickets are expensive, about 11euros. Although that, this is one of my favourite museums :-)

othercontact: M. Miromesnil
Phone: 01 45621159
Website: http://www.musee-jacquemart-andre.com

• Updated Jan 2, 2011

Comments

Elisabcn Lives Here!

Elisabcn

“Put me on a plane already!!!”

Have you been to Paris?