"The call to prayer" Top 5 Page for this destination Call to Prayer Tip by toonsarah

Call to Prayer, Marrakesh: 1 reviews and 1 photos

Mosque near the Djamaa el Fna - and carpet shop
by toonsarah

After the sights, scents and sounds of the Djamaa el Fna (and the pain of my broken foot ? ouch), one of my abiding memories of Marrakesh will be the sound of the call to prayer wakening me at 5.15 each morning or floating over the hubbub of the Night Market each evening. While we have heard this elsewhere on our travels, in Egypt, Tunisia and Syria, it is in Marrakesh that I have been most aware of it as an integral aspect of life in the city. Perhaps this is because it seems so in tune with the ancient streets and walls of the Medina, or maybe it was the knowledge that at the Koutoubia Mosque at least, a muezzin still climbs the minaret five times a day to make the call. Whatever the reason, this reminder of more spiritual things rising above the secular, commercial frenzy of the city is definitely an integral part of the Marrakesh experience.

The call to prayer, or ?adhan?, summons Muslims to follow the mandatory five prayer times of each day. Starting with four repetitions of ?Allahu Akbar? (?Allah is the greatest?), listeners are summoned to hurry to worship and, at dawn, reminded that ?prayer is better than sleep?. I can?t say that I always agreed with that last point, but somehow I found myself always happy to have my sleep interrupted by the call.

Next 2009 tip: the Mausoleum of Lalla Zohra

Address: Marrakesh

• Updated Sep 21, 2016

Comments

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Marrakesh?