Mehana Izvora: "Simple and Delish!" Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Restaurant Tip by johngayton

Plovdiv Restaurants: 54 reviews and 110 photos

Chicken, Salad, Bread and Wine - Delish!
by johngayton
      Chicken, Salad, Bread and Wine - Delish!
      Comfortable Interior
      Welcoming Exterior
    by johngayton

I'd noticed this place the previous evening when heading back to my hotel. The subtle lighting framing the windows drew my eye and the location on the residential side street of Aleks Ekzarh piqued my interest. From the outside the place looked like an inviting locals restaurant and so I gave it a visit.

I certainly wasn't disappointed. This is a perfect example of a mehana. The dining room is cosy with plenty of natural wood and stone, the woven tablecloths and traditional ornamentation complete the scene. The menu, in Bulgarian, covers all the traditional dishes and the service is relaxed and informal.

On my visit the place was relatively quiet with only two other tables occupied but it still had a pleasant Bulgarian buzz.

Favorite Dish: Some of the dishes on the menu were a bit too complex for my limited language and so I stuck to a simple "Pile File" (chicken fillet) with a green salad, bread and treated myself to a bottle of Mavrud. Everything was excellent. The salad the freshest of flavousome lettuce with flecks of cucumber, green peppers and celery, garnished with boiled egg. The chicken, cooked on the charcoal grill, was subtly spiced with paprika and celery salt. The bread toasted on the same grill added the crunch and the carbs. The wine was rich and fruity and served at the perfect temperature. Bliss, bliss, bliss and more bliss and finishing off with a good cup of coffee still didn't take the bill over 20 Leva (the wine accounting for more than half that).

Yep, definitely due a revisit and hopefully my language skills will have improved by then so that I can give the menu a more serious workout.

Address: "Aleks Ekzarh" 21A
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Towards the top end of the street which runs parellel to Russki Blvd pretty much opposite the Expo Hotel.
Phone: 623163
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Plovdiv?