"Wander the Love Hotel Alleys" Night Out in Shibuya Tip by AKtravelers
Night Out in Shibuya, Tokyo: 12 reviews and 9 photos
For a great window-shopping experience, wander the back alleys of of Dogensuka in Sibuya (just adjacent to the 109 shopping center). This is one of the densest clusters of Love Hotels in Japan, and on a Saturday Night they are lit in their full glory, hoping to attract lovers young and old (but mostly young) who have have no place to go for quality alone time. Love Hotel architecture is gaudy, cororful and meant to draw one in -- especially to appeal to women and make them willing to say, "Yes, I'll go in there". They usually have themes ranging from romantically French to passionately Italian to tropically Carribean -- offering an otherwordly, transportative experience. There is nothing seedy or hidden about Love Hotels -- see my General Tip for a discussion of how they're a normal part of Japanese life -- so they proclaim their presence with a boldness that may astonish those from more prudish cultures.
...WE walked into several lobbies of places that looked interesting: The Venetian, Hotel Lios, Festa (covered with Santa clauses on the outside!), Hotel Caribe, and a few others, though we ultimately chose Neocosmo (much to our regret as you'll read inthe General Tip).
Theme: Adult Spot
More Nightlife in Tokyo (2)
More Reviews (46)
- See All The Best People-Watching City in the...
- See All 1300-year-old Shiofune Kannon Temple'...
- See All The Famous Harajuku Girls
- The Edo-Tokyo Museum: Save until the End
- See All Fall in Love with Sumo
- For Long Stays, Get a Suica or PASMO...
- See All Girls Dress Up for 7th Birthday
- Conveyor Belt Sushi: A must!!
- See All Be Careful of Japanese Language T-Shirts
- See All Buy Your Kimonos in Department Stores
- Pack Your Umbrella in July
Been to Tokyo?Share your travels with the world!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Tokyo?Share Your Travels