Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House: "Family Feast" Savannah Restaurant Tip by SFHulaGIrl

Savannah Restaurants: 167 reviews and 142 photos

One half of the table when the food began

One half of the table when the food began
    by SFHulaGIrl
      The other half of the table when the food began
    by SFHulaGIrl
      Me standing by the sign in front
    by SFHulaGIrl
      One of the benches provided
    by SFHulaGIrl

I'd heard and seen so much about Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House that I was determined to eat there upon arrival in Savannah. Mrs. Wilkes is located in a lovely residential neighborhood and specializes in Southern "low country" cuisine. I'd heard that it's typical to wait in a long line, so arrived extra early in order to avoid that, for the most part. When I arrived about 10:15 a.m. on a Thursday morning, I was the first person in line. A few benches are provided to sit on, as they don't open until 11:00 a.m. Once the doors were opened, each guest was directed to sit at a certain table. Each table seems to seat between 8 and 12 people. Before the meal begins, an employee says grace. From that point on, bowls and platters of food are passed around the table. Once you're finished eating, you bus your own plate, utensils and glass to the kitchen, then pay $16 at the front (cash only) on your way out.

Favorite Dish: On the Thursday that I was there, they served fried chicken, beef stew, chicken and dumplings, collard greens, black eyed peas, succotash, macaroni and cheese, squash, mashed potatoes, candied yams, macaroni salad, lima beans, wild rice and too many other dishes to mention. Dessert choices were either cherry cobbler or banana pudding. Beverages were coffee, sweet tea or unsweetened tea. I though the fried chicken was good, but not as good as my Grandma's!! I really liked the beef stew, though. As for the other dishes, they were average. Even so, I will definitely return to Mrs. Wilkes. The experience was wonderful. Most of the people at my table or who were standing in line had been there many times before, even though they were from out of state. Two of the gentlemen at my table were Savannah residents; one of whom told me that he dines there at least three times per week!

Address: 107 West Jones Street; Savannah, GA 31401
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Historic District
Phone: 912-232-
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Local

• Written Nov 12, 2009

Comments

SFHulaGIrl

“It's the anticipation that makes the pleasure.”

Have you been to Savannah?