"NextBike" Top 5 Page for this destination Leipzig Transportation Tip by Nemorino

Leipzig Transportation: 44 reviews and 45 photos

2. With me you burn at least 300 kcal per hour
    by Nemorino

NextBike is a private bicycle sharing system that is quite similar to DB Call-a-Bike except that it is partially paid for by advertising directly on the bike -- and it is cheaper. Rental of a NextBike costs one Euro per half hour or nine Euros for up to 24 hours -- nine Euros as opposed to fifteen for Call-a-Bike. (Prices as of 2013.)

As I mentioned on one of my Dresden tips, online registration for NextBike is easy provided you are willing to give them your credit card number and cell phone number. Registration costs nine Euros, which is applied to your first bike rental.

In Leipzig I found these three NextBikes (first photo) right in front of the main station. The first two I tried to rent were not available for rental, according to the voice on my cell phone, but the third one was, so after finally getting the combination I unlocked it and rode off.

The reason I had trouble getting the combination is that this is a very loud street, with lots of roaring trucks and screeching streetcars coming by just at the time when you are trying to understand the combination number from the cell phone. So next time I am going to look for a NextBike in some quiet corner away from the traffic noise.

Update: They now automatically send you a text message with the combination number, in addition to the voice message.

While I was riding around I came across another NextBike chained to a fence (second photo) with the slogan "With me you burn at least 300 kilocalories per hour."

Photos:
2. With me you burn at least 300 kcal per hour

Mode: AROUND
Phone: 030 69205046
Type: Bicycle
Website: http://nextbike.de/#leipzig

• Updated Mar 5, 2013

Nemorino

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Have you been to Leipzig?