"Isle of Capri" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Favorite Tip by iandsmith

Early morning Piazza Umberto I
      Happy people at Garden of Augustus
      Marina Garnde
    by iandsmith

Favorite thing: If there is one place I've been to where there were hordes of tourists that I still fell in love with, this is it.
The Isle of Capri delivers on its promise and then some. If you think you can see it in a day because it's only a small island you would be mistaken. We spent four nights there and would recommend you aim for a week.
If you're not into walking you won't have the same experience as me and maybe a few days less will do. The island really does favour those who like to go for a stroll.

Fondest memory: From the Arco Naturale to Monte Solaro, from the Villa San Michele to the walk of the forts; from the back alleys of Capri to the walk from the gardens of Augustus to Piccolo Marina, it will enchant you all the time.
There is no such thing as a bad viewpoint on Capri; some are just slightly less spectacular than others.
My only disappointment was the Blue Grotto. My take on it is that it is hugely over-hyped though I gained much pleasure from watching the tourists come and go and thought the situation inside the cave was hilarious. It was like dodge'em boats, wide eyed tourists and various renditions of "O Sole Mio" and "Volare" all happening at the same while outside the three men in the open boat sat there collecting money.....lots of it. At over ten euros per person they were raking it in.
The laughter I got from that experience was only exceeded by watching the traffic at the roundabout, something I did every day as we walked past there on the way to Capri or the bus stop. Once I saw a bus, a three wheeled truck, a battery powered low loader, a dog and a scooter all going around at once, not all in the same direction. It was hilarious.
The other traffic situation that you MUST experience is to take the bus up to Anacapri. I dare not spoil your anticipation by telling you what it will be like - just do it.

• Updated Oct 30, 2009

Comments

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Italy?