Volcano House: "Outdated Than Rustic" Hawaii (Big Island) Hotel Tip by Phalaenopsis03

Hawaii (Big Island) Hotels: 80 reviews and 137 photos

crater view room

crater view room
      space heater
      crater view
      main building
    by Phalaenopsis03

With crater rim views of Kilauea Caldera, the Volcano House's location is its primary draw, and perhaps maybe even its only draw. While it's the only hotel inside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the state's oldest continuously operated hotel, it's evident that this hotel's glory days are long gone. The fact that it's changed ownership numerous times in its century plus history may have something to do with it too. Regardless, it makes me sad to say that the Volcano House feels more outdated than it does rustic. I understand having only basic amenities in keeping with lodge living (no TV, no safe, no microwave, no mini-fridge, etc,...), but paying $205 a night for a musty smelling room with peeling wallpaper, decaying sliding doors, creaking floors (you could hear people walking above us continuously), hand crank windows, and a space heater just doesn't seem right. A place can be "rustic", but still be charming. Sorry to say, but the Volcano House is more rusting than charmingly rustic.

Unique Qualities: We stayed in the "crater view" room in the main building, which afforded us with amazing views of the crater and the Ohia forest just steps away from our room. Additionally, the hotel's proximity to all the sites within the National Park was a major plus, allowing us to beat any visitor traffic. Lastly, in the evening, spend some time in front of the eternal fireplace in the lobby - the lobby, probably being the only place on the property that exemplifies true rustic charm.

Note: Tip originally written Oct. 29 for Oct. 2009 visit to the Big Island.

Addendum (10/31/09): After having checked out of V.H., a hotel representative called me up to tell me that I had forgotten some items in the room. Because I (for once) over-packed, I intentionally left some things behind. It was just nice to know that they cared and were professional enough to give me a call.

Address: Crater Rim Drive, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Island of Hawaii, HI 96718
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Past the entrance to Volcanoes National Park on the left side across from the Visitor Center.
othercontact: reservations@volcanohousehotel.c
Phone: 1-808-967-7321
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.volcanohousehotel.com/

• Updated Sep 21, 2011

More Hotels in Hawaii (Big Island) (1)

Comments