B19 Boutique Hotel: "Try this place for a change of pace" New Delhi Hotel Tip by Chrischopp

New Delhi Hotels: 205 reviews and 200 photos

Room view from balcony

Room view from balcony
      Room view
      Room view
      Attached shared balcony
      View of Humayun Tomb from balcony
    by Chrischopp

I arrived very late evening/early morning greeted by a staff member posted at the door. His bed was literally right next to the gate, a norm for receiving late night travelers. Getting to my room was a bit confusing as the building is a bit of a maze on different levels, behind doors, hallways etc. The room however was perfect. Large, bright, just a touch of India, neat clean and modern bathroom, complete with a balcony.
Inside the room there was a small seating area for meals or tea. Next to that was a small desk and TV. The bed was large and comfortable although very close to the ground. I didn?t mind this but it did take a bit of getting used to. It?s a great way to feel like the Indian Royals sleeping in their beds in the old palaces. The bathroom was very nicely finished in bright white and blue tiles, glass shower stall, full time running water with plenty of hot water. My favorite part was the French-door access to the balcony. Although not private, I never saw other guests outside enjoying the view. Because of this shared balcony, 2 other rooms have access, it?s best to keep the curtains closed for privacy.
In the morning you can hear religious songs and watch the locals walking to the nearby temple. Just across the way you can catch a glimpse of Humayun Tomb. The property is set in a beautifully landscaped gated community which makes for uninterrupted, safe walks around the neighborhood. My only dislike of the location was the constant sounds of train horns blaring. I got used to it but it was there.
I left my door cracked once I was set for the day to alert the staff I was ready for breakfast. At this point I thought I would meet the owners and have a nice morning chat. My continental breakfast of fresh fruit, toast, cheese and tea was brought to the room which I then took to the balcony. It?s not everyday you can listen to India waking up while enjoying a hearty breakfast on a balcony so don?t stay inside. I soon came to realize the owners were not on site and I would not be meeting them. A disappointment that changed my feeling of the place.
After two nights stay I never did figure out how to find my room without getting lost each time. Part of the fun was exploring the building and seeing how much work went into the remodel of the former shell. Unfortunately the camera I used did not capture the elegance B19 exudes. Prices have gone up since I stayed here in 2008 which is why I skipped coming back for my 2009 stay.
This is a perfect spot for singles, couples or groups staying for more than a day in Delhi. B19 is close to sightseeing, located in a great neighborhood for walking and the rooms are very comfortable. As of this writing, I see the website has been changed to B19 Boutique Hotel, no longer classified as Bed & Breakfast. Better.

Unique Qualities: Fully remodeled building, rooms are modern, neat and clean.

Address: B-19 Nizamuddin East New Delhi
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
othercontact: 91-11-41825500
Phone: 91-9871088629
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.bnineteen.com/index.html

• Written Oct 27, 2009

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to New Delhi?