Daniell's Tavern: "Elegant dining at the best hotel in Delhi" New Delhi Restaurant Tip by Chrischopp

New Delhi Restaurants: 124 reviews and 133 photos

Inside Daniell's Tavern

Inside Daniell's Tavern
      Vegetarian thali, so good
    by Chrischopp

While staying at the magnificent Imperial Hotel I found myself with not enough energy to venture past the ground floor to find lunch. The short walk from my room to the main hallway led me to Daniell?s Tavern, one of the in-house restaurants at the hotel.

The lunch crowd was long gone, in fact most of the crew was situated around a large table either recapping the lunch rush or preparing for the dinner onslaught. The seating and order taking was prompt leaving lots of time to take in the rich surroundings. The interior is finished as well as one would expect for being in the Imperial complete with white linen tablecloths and napkins. This was a far cry from most of the restaurants I find myself in outside of Delhi.

Now the food. I have to admit I ordered thali, certainly not exotic but one of my absolute favorites. And although I have never been given the ?look? for ordering what I think of as peasant food, I felt quite ridiculous doing so at this location. That is until the food arrived. My travel companion ordered the vegetarian thali while I took the meat lovers version. As evident in the pictures below, the presentation was mouthwatering. Every bite was better than the first.

As noted above, the Imperial houses several restaurants on site. The most notorious and often reviewed is The Spice Route which I have not had a chance to try at present. Until then, Daniell?s Tavern is where I would put my money. Stop in for lunch if you?re in the area.

Favorite Dish: The vegetarian thali was out of this world.

Address: Imperial Hotel, Janpath
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: +91 11 23345678
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Indian
Website: http://www.theimperialindia.com/

• Written Oct 26, 2009

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to New Delhi?