Gioco: "South Loop-Italian" Top 5 Page for this destination Gioco Tip by Dabs

Gioco, Chicago: 1 reviews and 0 photos

It's been quite a few years since we've been to Gioco, the Italian restaurant in the south loop owned by the KDK group, Marche, Opera, Red Light are the other restaurants they have listed on their website. The KDK restaurants are all similar in a couple of respects, the decor is eye catching and bold, the prices tend to be a little higher than I would expect from their location and menu. Gioco is no exception. We had a $50 Groupon to use so we headed here early on a Saturday night just when they were opening.

Service was extremely speedy, we were done with dinner in about 45 minutes including an appetizer, drinks and a main course but it was very early on a Saturday night and the restaurant was maybe only a 1/3 full.

Favorite Dish: We started off with fried calamari, it was extremely tender and not too greasy, the portion size was good for two people. I ordered Filetto Con Salsa Al Barolo ($34) two 4 oz Gorgonzola Dolce Crusted Beef Filets, Roasted Cippolini Onions, Sautéed Rapini, & Barolo Sauce. The meat was cooked exactly how I ordered it, the gorgonzola added a nice complimentary flavor to the beef. I didn't care for the rapini, it was bitter to my taste but my husband ate it. David ordered a chicken dish that was marinated in porcini mushrooms which came with rosemary potatoes and that was a disappointment, although the chicken was moist it had little flavor

Address: 1312 S. Wabash, south loop
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Located just south of Roosevelt Road and just west of Michigan Avenue in the south loop
Phone: 1 312-939-3870
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 3
Theme: Italian

• Written Oct 18, 2009

Dabs Lives Here!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?