"Huacachina / Buggy Ride / Sand boarding w/ Video!" Huacachina Things to Do Tip by Vincentml

Huacachina Things to Do: 11 reviews and 25 photos

• Huacachina / Buggy Ride / Sand boarding w/ Video! - Huacachina
      Ocean from the bus en route to Huacachina
    by Vincentml
      360% all you can see is desert.
  • Huacachina / Buggy Ride / Sand boarding w/ Video! - Huacachina
      Getting read to fall.
    by Vincentml

The charm and uniqueness of Huacachina make it one of my favorite destinations in Perú. Taking a bus from Lima (about 4-5 hours) can prove to be as interesting as it is inexpensive. The Pacific Ocean is visible from the bus for the majority of the ride, as are small towns and farms. Round trip tickets cost about $15-$35 depending on your preferences.

The Oasis at Huacachina is very small and less than 200 people live there. There are a few places to stay and charming little restaurants that overlook the small pond at the center of the Oasis. We arrived after dark and when we woke we had breakfast outside watching the sun come up over the sand dunes that surrounded our little desert paradise. It was then that I started to feel like I had gone to sleep and woke up on a different planet. One of Perú's most obvious lures is that it is home to such a variety of topographies-- Huacachina is a prime example of that.

If you're planning a trip to Huacachina, surely sand boarding and a dune buggy ride are already parts of your itinerary. The dune buggy in the desert of Huacachina is easily one of the most exiting things I've ever done anywhere on the globe.

Here is a video I made from the front seat of the dune buggy. What makes this ride remarkable is that it takes place in an expansive desert that stretches nearly 50 kilometers to the Pacific Ocean. All I could see was sand as we approached what seemed like the end of the world at virtually top speed. Few things are as exhilarating as the drop the buggy takes after it reaches the summit of a sand dune. The driver was very talented and safe, and it took some taunting on my part to convince him to dive like he did, but it was definitely a thrilling ride! I recommend wearing sunglasses. It?s not as much for the sun as it is for the sand and wind that will be hitting your face as you race across the dunes.

Sand boarding was fun and definitely a little emasculating. I fell more times than I?d like to admit and had sand in places that this forum probably doesn?t allow me to admit. I loved every minute of it and will definitely do it again in the near future.

Huacachina is an inexpensive, unique and exciting adventure that many travelers overlook. Because of its relatively short distance from Lima, I recommend it as a one or two day trip to anyone who is planning on visiting Perú. You could probably expect on spending between $60-$150 (USD) for the whole trip but the pictures and memories you will take home with you are priceless.

Address: Camino a la Huacachina, Huacachina, Ica, Perú.
Directions: Take a bus from any of the main stations in Lima.

• Updated Oct 17, 2009

Comments

Vincentml

“I should really get one...”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Huacachina?