"it's that damn pretty" Top 5 Page for this destination Crater Lake National Park Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

Crater Lake National Park Favorites: 13 reviews and 25 photos

early morning Crater Lake
by richiecdisc

Favorite thing: Nothing beats getting up early and enjoying the sun come up at Crater Lake. You have a great chance of finding the lake at its most reflective best too.

Fondest memory: Driving towards Crater Lake National Park, I was filled with mixed feelings. I looked forward to showing this stunning deep alpine lake to my wife but my first visit to the park some 14 years earlier had been so perfect I couldn't help but anticipate a letdown. On that visit, I had no idea what to expect, having never even seen a photo of the deep blue wonder. It was on my path and in my National Park guide. I simply went. Coming up over the rim of the lake for the first time is akin to your first view of the Grand Canyon. It's breathtaking and you are speechless. It's that damn pretty. On that day, it was also a mirror, with not a stitch of wind. It was flat as glass and the most reflective body of water I had ever seen. I left the park feeling that there was no need to return, that it would never be any better and my breath would not be taken away so fully again.

Time passes and new people come into your life. Pieces of your past are lost but you also feel a need to show the special ones who you were. This current six-month trip around the US was in some ways based on that. To show my wife just how amazing it can be to be untethered for so long, surrounded by such beauty that you ultimately just surrender to it.

She also was contending with my memories of what had been up to that point probably the greatest summer of my life. Those memories included the person I had done the 1994 trip with for I was not alone. Thus far, my wife had through sheer will, determination and a lot of training, obliterated everything I had done that summer. After weeks of conquering the deserts of the Southwest, she shredded Yosemite with three backpacking trips and a summit of Half Dome. There was little doubt that so far, this summer had even usurped the great one. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

• Updated Oct 16, 2009

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Crater Lake National Park?