"I never thought it would happen!" Public Art Tip by planxty

Public Art, Liverpool: 36 reviews and 50 photos

Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool, UK.
by planxty

The mere act of me writing this tip is actually a testament to a dear friend of mine. Nadean (Dino to her friends) is an art student easily young enough to be my daughter, in fact she calls me Da for a joke and some people actually believe it. I am a self-confessed artphobe, if such a word exists, well not so much phobic as I just had no interest whatsoever in art. It left me completely cold, especially so-called modern art. My tip on Tate Modern, London is a case in point. Actually, she has not convinced me of the value of modern art yet, but she is doing her level best to turn me onto art in general.

Having said all that, purely voluntarily on a recent trip to Liverpool and inspired by Dino's prompting, I visited the Walker art gallery in the centre and I actually enjoyed it. OK, it is probably more my kind of art, namely things that look like what they are meant to, not buckets of pig blood thrown randomly on walls or whatever.

Set in a wonderful old building, itself a work of art as shown, there is a large collection of very interesting exhibits. I was very surprised to find a painting that I actually knew the name of without looking at the annotation. It was "And when did you last see your father?" by William Frederick Yeames (1835 - 1918) which used to be a favourite print in living rooms at home some years ago. It was purchased in 1878 for the princely sum of 750. I dread to think what it is worth now.

The whole collection has a very long history, beginning in 1819, lthough the present building was not opened until 1877, and they describe themselves as a "gallery for the North." I think this is a good thing as so much of everything in England seems centred on London.

There were many other exhibits I enjoyed including a very detailed, although stylised, rendition of the death of Nelson. So, thanks Dino, and if like me you like your art to look like art, this place really is worth a visit.

Address: William Brown Street, Liverpool, L3 8EL
Directions: In the Cultural Centre, close to the Museums.
Phone: +00 44 (0)151 478 4199
Website: http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/walker/

• Updated Oct 12, 2009

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to Liverpool?