The Bridge Inn Santon Bridge.: "Quality Food" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumbria Restaurant Tip by nickandchris

Cumbria Restaurants: 15 reviews and 38 photos

Delicious Lamb Jennings
      Delicious Lamb Jennings
      16 oz gammon steak
    by nickandchris
      The Irt, the bridge and the pub.
      The Bridge Inn, Santon Bridge
      The Bridge Inn
    by nickandchris

We were invited to a surprise 40th birthday party at this pub. We had booked into the campsite next door with our motorhome but upon arrival, found the site to be totally unsuitable, an extremely wet and muddy field we would have got bogged down in. Tentatively we enquired at the pub if we could stay overnight on their carpark. No problems. said the friendly bar manager.We actually ended up with a superbly quiet overnight pitch looking out onto the river.And at no cost.

The party went extremely well, with around twelve adults and numerous highly excited children all enjoying a lovely meal in the function room.

Most of the other guests were booked into the inn for the night, with only one couple having to leave the party to go home. The rest of us continued on until around midnight.The hotel is a lovely old coaching inn with a warm, friendly atmosphere and the bar was still going strong by the time we left, presumably with both guests and locals.

Favorite Dish: The menu here is a mixture of old favourites with a few different twists and some lovely sounding salads .There are a couple of interesting vegetarian dishes, including Kenyan coast aubergine moussaka (there is a strong Kenyan representation with some of the staff being poached from the world famous Hemmingway's Hotel in Kenya.) Starters were equally as interesting with such delectables as crab and prawn medley, seafood creviche and smoked chicken. Sweets were listed on a blackboard with apple pie, sticky toffee roulade, chocalate gateau, banoffie something or other etc. (I'm afraid I don't take too much notice of sweet things, more into savouries!!)

I chose Lamb Jennings, a shoulder of lamb marinated in Jennings beer and served on mashed potato with a delicious gravy and Nick had the 16 oz gammon, served with two fried eggs and real pineapple. Vegetables were fine beans, carrot rounds and broccoli (which I thought were a little ordinary for the delicious meat.)My lamb was superb, melt in the mouth stuff with oodles of the lovely gravy. Nick's gammon was ok if a tad salty and the chips, although real, were nothing exceptional and had lots of tiny crisp pieces.

I opted for the sticky toffee roulade which was nice but very sweet and I wish I had chosen a starter rather than ending with a pud.

All in all, an excellent meal which the multi- national staff served as efficiently as possible with wild children running around and not knowing what had been ordered for them!

The staff consisted of a Pole, three Kenyans, a Latvian, a Thai and a Brazilian!!

Address: Bridge Inn, Santon Bridge, Holmrook, Cumbria CA19
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Western Lake District, close to Eskdale valley and Wastwater.Take A595 from Broughton. Turn right just before Holmrook. Pass Irton Hall and the craft shop. Turn left at junction. Pub is on the right, at the bottom of the hill, over the River Irt bridge.
Phone: 019467 26221
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5

• Updated Jul 1, 2010

nickandchris Lives Here!

“Take nothing but photographs. Leave nothing but footprints.”

Have you been to Cumbria?