"Little Gardens of Happy Days" Kuchen Favorite Tip by Kakapo2

Kuchen Favorites: 3 reviews and 3 photos

The gardens have changed their face.
by Kakapo2

Favorite thing: I remember the times when there was a black slack walking track (Schwarzer Weg) along the river, bordered by plum trees, leading to a plot of small gardens (Kleingärten) near the weir (Gingener Filswehr). The land of those gardens belonged to SBI who leased it to their employees. My parents also had a garden (Ländle = “small land”) there where they planted vegetables and flowers. We played in the grass and the mini forest of deciduous trees between the gardens and the river where the gardeners fetched water in cans and buckets for watering their gardens, and I remember that a lot of violets – purple, burgundy and white – grew there, and I always picked them and made little bunches. From there the track continued along the fence of the park, the villa, and the administration building. The latter has been pulled down.

Fondest memory: When I cycled on this track lately it was like stepping back in time. Although the track has been sealed, and the start/end in Gingen has been lost to industrial development, parts of it looked as if time had stood still. The gardens have been transformed into typical German Kleingärten (small gardens), fenced by hedges or proper fences, with lawns and BBQ facilities, some even with little huts. The gardens have become bigger, and as a consequence, there are less owners. Then everybody had a piece of land which was entirely used for plantations, not for leisure, and there were no fences. Then we walked there or took the bicycle, now the garden owners get there by car.

The area between the track and the river looked like 40 and more years ago. There was still this narrow downhill path to the river where the people walked with their watering cans, fetching water in the Fils which was and is very calm there, as just a short way further down part of the water is stopped by the weir. I had just thought the descent was a bit steeper and longer then ;-) There were still those trees we had run around a thousand times. I dreamed of the times when we were happy without mobile phones, computers and ipods, when children did not need to go on a diet because we played in the outdoors. Surely I had my mobile phone in my backpack, just for the case… Well, perhaps to say I would be late for dinner because I had to check out so many places of my past, forage my way through the undergrowth to get a better view of the weir and the riverbank, squeeze my nose against the fence around the turbine keeper’s house, watch the weir work. Every place is so full of memories and history here, you just have to keep your eyes wide open.

More photos in one of the travelogues.

• Written Oct 5, 2009

Comments

Kakapo2 Visits Here Frequently!

Kakapo2

“Visit dream destinations but keep your eyes open”

Have you been to Kuchen?