"Forbidden City (The Palace Museum)" Forbidden City - The Palace Museum Tip by lindyz

Just me and the Forbidden City
      Just me and the Forbidden City
    by lindyz
      One of the many buildings
      Huge door, must be about 10m high
      Amazing architecture
    by lindyz
      One of the large courtyards
    by lindyz

This place was fascinating, and it so so HUGE - we just kept walking and walking, through buildings and courtyards, trying to get to the end. Most of the side buildings were closed for some reason the day we were there. We didnt get the true story of this place, as we just strolled through without a guide, not even an audio guide. It was nice just to look at things and take lots of pics, without being bombarded by the history of it all. I know the history is very important, but sometimes we found it a bit too much to be able to take it all in. All I remember is that most ancient Chinese buildings, gardens, temples etc. were constructed in the 13th/14th Centuries, and for me that is hard to fathem, being that Australia is only 221 years old!!!

The architecture at the Forbidden City was amazing, the roof detail and paintings were spectacular. There was a big line-up to get into the City, but it seemed to go very quickly, no major holdups. Entrance fee was 60rmb = about $10AUD, and it is well worth it. Once you walk right through it, you come out the other end, right near entrance to Jingshan Park, you just have to walk under the road and you are there.

Last entry to Forbidden City is at 4.10pm and it is open from 8.30am to 5.00pm. We had been warned by many people about lots of beggars in and around the Forbidden City, but the day we were there, there was not one, absolutely none to be seen!

Address: North of Tiananmen Square
Directions: Directly opposite Tiananmen Square, on Dong Chung An Jie
Phone: 010-85007422, 85007421
Website: http://www.dpm.org.cn

• Written Oct 1, 2009

“logic takes you from A to B ... imagination takes you everywhere ...”

Have you been to Beijing?