"Carry your passport!!" Big Bend National Park Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Suet

The mistake I made was not having my passport with me when I was travelling near the border with Mexico. I did not actually cross the border, but they have built border patrol posts on the roads leading through the park to trap the unwary.

I was stopped by two fierce guards and an even fiercer guard dog, I was made to wait in the car while they looked for me on the computer. Couldn't find me, I was getting hot and sweaty so I approached the hut with some more paperwork which I thought would help. The dog nearly tore my throat out. I was informed that I did not exist even though I had my e-ticket and flight details and my travel insurance details on me. Apparently I could have forged all that. Well, it was a bit beyond my capabilities and it would have been much easier to photograph or photo copy the passport and have that with me.

They took AGES to find me, having put my last name in as my first name. They let me off the $1,000 fine and 30 days in jail as I clearly was a nitwit and not Mexican.

Please take a copy of your passport with you. Just in case.

• Updated Sep 22, 2009

More Warnings and Dangers in Big Bend National Park (1)