"Where to spend your Christmas holidays?" Louisiana Favorite Tip by TravellerMel

Louisiana General: 58 reviews and 48 photos

Favorite thing: What about New Orleans? The weather is mild, and there are lots of seasonal goings-on. Many of the restaurants in the French Quarter have special elegant "Revillion" menus, there is a wonderful light display in City Park called "Celebration in the Oaks" (there are also musical performances, decorated Christmas tree displays, and rides for the kids of all ages), on Fulton Square (just outside of Harrah's Casino) there is an area where it "snows" every hour on the hour (I think it is soap flakes, but it is beautiful!). New Orleans is a wonderful city to visit at any time, but I've always thought there was something magical about Christmas in the South. Anyway, that's just my two cents worth - hope it helps!

Fondest memory: My first Christmas in New Orleans - I had just moved here and didn't know a soul. I remember just walking around in the French Quarter on Christmas Eve. I had to pop into a souvenir shop to buy a sweatshirt because it got cold once the sun set. Wearing my brand new and very warm sweatshirt, I had a lovely dinner, then went to Pat O's for Irish Coffee. It was a lovely night - and I still have that sweatshirt 14 years later!

• Updated Aug 1, 2013

TravellerMel Used To Live Here!

“Not all who wander are lost...”

Have you been to Louisiana?