"Handy Hotel" Pensione Boutique Hotel - Melbourne Tip by craic

Fully functioning window.
      Petite bathroom.
      Petite ironing board.
    by craic

I wanted to be close to Southern Cross Station to catch an early train and they certainly are very close. A brisk 5 minute walk. The Skybus to the airport goes from Southern Cross too so it is a convenient location. The free City Circle tram goes by a 3 minute walk away.
I booked a Petite Double for $90 on wotif.com. It was very petite indeed and had a lovely view of a brick wall.
However it was very clean and comfortable. And quiet. The staff were amenable and low key.
BUT - like so many hotels they insist on taking $100 off your debit card and then refunding it the next morning if you haven't run amok in the minibar. I hate this new custom. Also they insist on photo id. Driver's license, passport etc.
Also they were very mean with the soap, one tiny bar for two people. And with the tea and coffee fixings. No herb tea.
It's in an older building which has been tastefully renovated so it is quaint, but our corridor was so dimly lit and low ceilinged I thought I was in a wombat burrow.
A rooftop patio for smokers. Lovely view of rooftops.
The window opened in our room. I really like that. I hate windows that won't open. It gives me claustrophobia.
We had late checkout on our deal at midday. That can be handy.
The bathroom was so tiny that you would want to be petite yourself actually.
I would stay here again if I got a good price.

PS There was no extra bedding in the room. What if I had wanted another blanket? I was actually on the verge of being cold but was too tired to do anything about it.

Address: 16 Spencer Street
Comparison: less expensive than average
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.pensione.com.au/pensione/pensione-melbourne/melbournes-most-affordable-boutique-hotel.html

• Updated Sep 13, 2009

Comments

craic Used To Live Here!

Have you been to Melbourne?