"Get a Personalized Tour of the City" Rockefeller Center Tip by Aleksandr123

Rockefeller Center, New York City: 8 reviews and 6 photos

I usually like to come and stay in a place for a few weeks to really get the feel of it, but my first time in New York I only had a couple of days. So I wanted to really squeeze the juice out of them and see something that was NOT in my guidebook. Read about CityFlame.net in nytimes travel and thought why not check it out.

You go to the site, pick a pretty young woman as a local guide (one even spoke my language, not that it was necessary), let them know what exactly you're interested in (museums, art, landmarks or clubs, restaurants etc.) and how many hours you'd like to book. They help you put together your itinerary and off you go. I really enjoyed it. After two hours at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and a walk in Central Park, my guide - a very attractive young lady by the way - took me for a coffee in the newly renovated Plaza Hotel. Then we walked down Fifth Avenue, checked out stores, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, etc. got to Grand Central Station and she showed me Campbell Apartment (former office of the railroad king of the 20s - would have never come across it by myself). Of course we had to climb the Empire State Building, too - I am not totally against "touristy" things.

They also gave me a tip to take a helicopter tour, which I did the next day, but by myself.

I had a great time the first day, so I asked whether they had any other ideas for me, and the following evening my guide took me to an art gallery opening in Chelsea (with champagne) and a dinner in some relatively small but apparently quite popular restaurant in the Meatpacking District. The weather was great and we also went for a walk on the High Line and then stopped by for cocktails at the rooftop bar at the Gansevoort hotel - also with views of the Hudson river. All in all, I had a great time in charming local company, saw some sights I wouldn't have found by myself, and had someone tell me bits and pieces and anecdotes about New York life which was exactly what I was looking for. It is just more fun to "discover" a place for yourself with someone who really knows it, plus, having dinner or drinks alone is a lot less exciting and cool than having a stimulating conversation with an attractive girl. I'd recommend it to anyone traveling alone on a tight schedule!

Website: http://www.cityflame.net

• Updated Sep 10, 2009

Ranked Member

Have you been to New York City?