"Lovely old dream castle Fiholm" Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Things to Do Tip by Trekki

Sweden Things to Do: 422 reviews and 839 photos

Those who know me know that I seem to have a specific love for old and weathered buildings. So it was most natural that I developed a deep affection for Fiholm Castle when I saw it. Well, the pink wing to be precise. Fiholm Castle consists of two identical wings which face each other, one in bright orange and one in pink. The orange one is inhabited by the owners Charlott and Göran Mörner who have bought the whole property in 1988 and have restarted the farm. The pink wing is sadly used as storage (I peeked through the windows at its back side). Both buildings show signs of decay, but the orange one it a bit better maintained. On the other hand, I have read that they were never changed since they were built in 1642. The pink one would make a beautiful atmospheric B&B, maybe the owners might get the idea one day. I loved the simpleness of the whole ensemble; I think it was mainly because of the strong colours, the simple and symmetric windows and the iron tie bar ends. The latter ones are very much photogenic (see photos). Haha, yes, I seem to have a strong liking for these, especially if the wall is a bit decaying.
The castle was built by Sweden?s Lord Chancellor Axel Oxenstierna who was one of the most powerful men of his time, had studied in Jena, Wittenberg and Rostock and was a diplomat and strategist during the 30 Years War. There is a cute story about the dispute between Axel and his son Johan regarding the castle, but I leave it to Simone to tell this story. The castle?s portals, by the way, are adorned with the Oxenstierna?s coat of arms ? the ox horns are quite dominating. The importance of this family can also be seen in the nearby Jäder Kyrka (church), but that?s a story for another to-do tip.

Fiholm Castle is still a working farm, that?s why it is not possible to enter all of the ground. But I could walk past the pink building to get a rough idea of how big the premises are and take a glimpse of the barn and some of the other farm buildings. The building next to the orange wing and the parking space is the former barn and this is now converted into a café and art gallery. They serve tea and coffee and homemade cake. Very delicious cakes, by the way, my blackberry cake was very good. The prices are also very reasonable, for tea and coffee and two cakes we paid 80 SEK. The café is open daily except Monday from noon to 6 p.m. in the months of June to August and Saturday and Sunday only in May.
It is not possible to visit the castle, unfortunately. But on the other hand, this is understandable, you would?t want to have visitors trotting through your home all day long, would you? But there is one day in the year when the Mörner family opens the doors. It shall be announced on their website, though in Swedish only.

I made a separate page about Björsund. No tips, but photos of the castle and its beautiful surroundings. The fields are also very photogenic, especially in late summer.

Fiholm Castle is located in Södermanland, at Mälaren Lake, north of E20 (between Eskilstuna and Strägnäs). Get off at exit 134 and drive north, direction Kjulaås and then direction Björsund. The brown sign to Fiholm Slott is tiny, but you can?t miss it because the alley leading to the castle is lined with huge trees.

Exact location of Fiholm Castle on google maps.

Region: Södermanland;
nearest airport: Stockholm (international) or Västerås (regional)

© Ingrid D., September 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Website: http://www.fiholm.se/

• Updated Aug 13, 2013

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I have never heard of this castle before. The pink wing looks lovely!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Nov 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM

:-)) I am wondering if they did something with the pink wing in the meantime. A hostel or riders hostel would be something nice :-)

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Sweden?