"Cake heaven in Taxinge Slott" Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Things to Do Tip by Trekki

Sweden Things to Do: 422 reviews and 839 photos

Oh heavenly cakes..... part 1

Oh heavenly cakes..... part 1
      Oh heavenly cakes..... part 2
      Oh heavenly cakes..... part 3
      Oh heavenly cakes..... part 4
    by Trekki
      And then of course: Taxinge Slott :-)
    by Trekki

I know Taxinge Slott since I know VT. Almost. It is the page, Simone (Sim1) made as her Christmas in Sweden page and it is customs among many of us VTers to start the Christmas season by reading it..(I have linked it in the website section) and get our mouths watered and us into the mood. Ok, but then I knew Taxinge Slott only virtually; until summer I have visited this page every Christmas season. So it was most natural that I wanted to go there during my summer trip in Sweden 2009. Of course not to visit the Christmas market or to get into the mood for Christmas ? it would have been a bit weird to do so in the middle of July, won?t it? But to visit their famous cake buffet. And of course to eat some of their famous cakes. On their website they write that they have a selection of more than 60 cakes. However, to see the photo of the buffet on Simone?s page and to see it in real life, erm, in real buttercream and marsipan and fruit and all, that?s two things. I think I must have made a very dumb face when I saw it all finally and it was again most naturally difficult to chose among the variety. But since I found out that lemon cake is very delicious in Sweden, I wanted to try theirs. In addition ? all good things come in threes, don?t they ? I had a peppermint cakelet and a marsipan tarte. No photo of my cakes in this tip, I?m afraid, but on a separate page with more photos of the surroundings and the cakes but no tips.
Their cakes are from 14 to 40 SEK, depending on the size. In addition they offer the Swedish sandwiches (smörgrås) from 45 to 95 SEK. Coffee and tea is 30 SEK but it includes free unlimited refills. Tea selection is excellent, they also have several loose teas as well. Oh and milk is 14 SEK. See pricelist for details.

It seems to be a very popular place. We were lucky that it was summer and good weather, because otherwise we would not have got a table inside or in the tent on the lawn. So we had a seat in their lovely garden and enjoyed our cakes with prime views to Lake Mälaren and the castle park.
Oh yes, I should mention that there is also a beautiful park, but we were round and full after this cake lunch and didn?t made it these few metres into the gardens. Even though Taxinge Slott is a castle, it is not possible to visit the upper floors because these are conference facilities. The side buildings are now used as little shops. The shop in the one to the left (facing the castle) is quite nice. They had what seemed to me genuine articles from Sweden for reasonable prices. I got several funny cookie forms there, including one with the famous Dala horse, a bat, a frog and a seahorse. Through Wikipedia I learned that Taxinge Slott was used as a location for the movie ?Cries and Whispers? (1972, by Ingmar Bergman).

Opening hours of the café:
May to Aug.: daily, noon ? 6 p.m.; Sept: noon ? 4 p.m.; Oct. to April: Sat & Sun only, noon ? 4 p.m. Closed on Christmas and New Year.

And in case you want to look for a new cake recipe, you can look at the ones, the castle website offers: Taxinge cake recipes. Though it is in Swedish only.

Directions:
From Stockholm, take road 30 westward, direction Örebrö, Eskilstuna, Sigtuna. Exit at no.139 (Mariefred, Gripsholm) and follow the road to Hedlandet. Continue on this road when the one to Hedlandet turns left (north). You will cross the motorway twice, the last time after Nygård. From there, just follow the road to the north until you arrive at the castle. NB: I am sure we took another exit which was closer by Nygård and which was marked ?Taxinge Slott?. But neither google maps nor my map show it??

Exact location of Taxinge Slott on google maps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Region: Södermanland;
nearest airport: Stockholm (international) or Västerås (regional)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

© Ingrid D., September 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Address: Taxinge Slott, Näsby 52, 155 93 Nykvarn
Phone: +46 - 159-701 14
Website: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1c048/2f31e/

• Updated Aug 13, 2013

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2013 at 1:00 AM

It would be impossible for me to choose among all those delicious cakes. I think you made the right decision to taste three different cakes :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Nov 2, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Haha, it was difficult!! And later I could roll back home. But their cakes are really very very good :-) I get hungry now....

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Sweden?