"Sake Museum" Yuzawa Things to Do Tip by PaleFace_Fields

Yuzawa Things to Do: 3 reviews and 0 photos

At the far end of the Train Station is the Sake Museum. I use the word 'museum' in a very loose sense of the word - It's not about learning sake stuff (actually it may be, I couldn't understand most of what was said or written here) it's about trying it. There were loads of different varieties from all over Japan, of various strengths, served hot or cold. You pay the guy at the counter a few yen and get tokens - each token triggers a shot of the lovely rice juice from one of the dispensing machines. When we arrived, the counter guy welcomed us and then vanished. We shrugged our shoulders and had a look around the place - then noticed he had returned - wearing a surgical face mask. He clearly didn't want to expose himself to our Western germs, which is fair enough. He probably heard me coughing on my way in.

We spent a good 15 minutes wondering around with our cups, gradually getting more merry. My personal favourite was the local brew - Echigo. We eventually staggered out and headed for the local Yakitori (the tables have a built in barbecue where you cook your own meat and veg) which is just down the street on the left, just past the 7-11. The great sake was followed by barbecue steak in honey and soy sauce, I'd recommend it most highly.

Address: Inside Echigo-Yuzawa Station
Directions: Inside Echigo-Yuzawa Station, past the food stalls, at the end of the shopping area.

• Written Aug 26, 2009

“Smoke me a kipper...I'll be back for breakfast.”

Ranked Member