"Discover Highland Park for the Arts" Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Off The Beaten Path Tip by marinarena
Los Angeles Off The Beaten Path: 351 reviews and 619 photos
Highland Park is one of the oldest Los Angeles communities, just east of downtown Los Angeles. Although it is fairly shabby in many spots and has a somewhat unsavory notoriety for gang activity, Highland Park is safe enough for a daytrip visit, especially for history, art and architectural buffs. Craftsman homes are treasures of the community. Many are located off Figueroa St.
A starting point to the world's oldest freeway, Pasadena Freeway, HP is a community of about 60,000 inhabitants. The district stretches along the very hidden Arroyo Seco ("dry creek"), Since the 1960s, HP is a large Latino enclave, with a heavy influence of Northern Mexican immigrants. However, there are other ethnicities that contribute to the community.
Because of the widespread nature of the area, I recommend taking a special organized tour of HP as I have. Check out http://www.hpht.org/tour.html. Get here by the Pasadena Fwy, Metro buses 81, 83, 176, 256, LADOT's DASH Highland Park/Eagle Rock bus and the Gold Line rail stop- Highland Park.
More Off The Beaten Path in Los Angeles (34)
More Reviews (198)
- See All Ride Mega from L.A. to Bay Area or Vegas
- See All Appreciate Architecture of DTLA...
- See All Roll Down Robertson for Lux Fash
- See All Discover Culture & Events on the...
- See All Go For Primero L.A. Taco Real
- See All (Re)Discover Historic Shrine
- See All Bike a Delicious Meal Off Free Here by...
- See All Get your Talk Radio, Traffic...
- See All Pack Patience in or along busy Fairfax
- See All Don't Get "Lost" in Hawaiian Gardens!...
- See All OK to stay if ... (Inglewood)
- See All Wear Shades and Sunscreen
marinarena's Related Pages
Have you been to Los Angeles?Share Your Travels