"Steep Climbs and Cobblestones" Walk Hazards Tip by grandmaR

narrow cobbled street
      Pigeon on the cobblestones
      pothole past the pigeon
    by grandmaR
      Stairs up to the overlook
      Side of a street
    by grandmaR

Walking on an uneven surface is very hard for me, and since I am out of shape, climbing is also difficult. I do not like to climb (or go down) steps as it is hard on my knees. But the streets are too narrow in the old town for tour buses so my only option appeared to be walk or take a taxi.

When we got off the shuttle bus, we wandered around in the town and took pictures of the cobblestones and pigeons (photos 2 and 3). My granddaughter went up into a park while I sat and rested on my cane, and while I was sitting there, I saw a pedicab, which I engaged to take us around. Since we were in the lower town when we got the pedicab, he had to take us up to the upper town to Toompea where the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was. This was a lot of work for him and he had to stop talking and just pedal as hard as he could to get up there. Even though it was still quite cold, he was shedding coats and sweaters. He had to resort to tacking across the hill finally to get up to the top.

From there we went through some narrow streets to the overlook where Toompea Castle was. On the way out he showed us where we would have come up the stairs if we had done the walk on foot.

• Updated Aug 21, 2009

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to Tallinn?