" Umm Al Quwain stamps" Top 5 Page for this destination Fujairah Local Custom Tip by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Fujairah Local Customs: 5 reviews and 10 photos

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Excuse my putting here another tip which isn’t really a Fujairah local custom tip but was created when I watched my stamp albums in search of a set of Fujairah stamps (see the previous tip). But how I was surprised when I found another set of stamps which I had never seen before! That set wasn’t mine! I don’t collect stamps last 40 years (since the end of 60th!). But my elder son Pavel collected stamps when he was a boy in far 80th. And he bought a set of stamps from mysterious country Umm al Qiwain! Yes, accepted alternative spellings of Umm Al Quwain include Umm al Qiwain (used on its former postage stamps).
That’s why you can see these stamps here:

Umm al Qiwain January 1969 Horses:
Postage - 25 dh., 50 dh., 75 dh., 1 rl, 2 rl
Air Mail - 1 rl 50 dh., 2 rl 50 dh., 4 rl, 5 rl

According to Kay Horowicz, Umm al Qiwain opened its first post office on 27 November 1963. The shaikhdom issued its first stamps on June 29, 1964. Umm al Qiwain agreed to join the United Arab Emirates on 2 December 1971. On 1 August 1972 the UAE took responsibility for postal operations.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Aug 18, 2009

Comments

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Have you been to Fujairah?