Any cold noodle place: "Enjoy Cold Noodles on a Hot Day" Nara Restaurant Tip by AKtravelers

Nara Restaurants: 16 reviews and 46 photos

Yum!!

Yum!!
    by AKtravelers
      Yeah! I get to break American etiquette rules!
    by AKtravelers
      Damn, I got the hot soup!
      more slurping!
      Slurp like this!!
    by AKtravelers

Nara on an August afternoon is a breeezeless steambath under a growlight. The idea of eating anything hot -- especially ramen -- is completely untenable. So we were elated on our walk from the JR station to Nara-koen Park to see a noodle shop serving cold ramen on the right hand side of the shopping street. It was small and named with Kanji, so we have no idea what to call the place, but it was cozy, inviting and full of locals cooling off. Hungry and overheated, we drooped in for a bite.
The cold noodles were excellent, filling us up and cooling us off at the same time. We slurped them like locals, sucking up their refreshing coolness with each breath. The staff was friendly and bent over backwards to serve us, even if we were completely incomprehensible. If you don't find this exact shop, I'm sure you can find others that will make you equally happy. Small cold noodle shops are another reason I love Japan!
Well, except that I was stupid and ordered hot noodles! Boy, was everyone impatient waiting for me to be done!

Comparison: less expensive than average
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Updated Aug 12, 2009

Comments

AKtravelers

“My plan:1. See the world 2. Have a beer”

Have you been to Nara?