"Inca Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Ollantaitambo Things to Do Tip by Elisabcn

Ollantaitambo Things to Do: 32 reviews and 70 photos

the starting point . . .
by Elisabcn

The Inca Trail is the most famous trekking in America and it is easy to understand why. There are two ways to arrive to Machu Picchu: by bus from Aguas Calientes or taking the Inca Trail. Even if it was very hard to me (I had some problems due to "soroche" two days before and I was not in my best conditions) I would repeat it again: crossing the Puerta del Sol at dawn after four hard days and see Machu Pichu still without tourists was a unique experience. Later I checked by myself what meant the first option: thousands and thousands of sheep-tourists doing long lines to invade the site. Fortunately by that time we had already finished our visit.
Very crowded in the past and in danger for a while, Unesco put strict conditions to the Peruvian Government: “if you don’t restrict the access to Inca Trail we will take the money away”. Nowadays the access is restricted to 500 people per day and the only way to do it is contracting an official travel agency (remember to book some months in advance!). It will provide you with the tickets, guide, bearers and all the necessary stuff like tents or food. This was also good to regularize the bearers’ conditions: for example in the past they could carry until 40kg on their backs and nowadays they are weighed before leaving and only allowed to take 20kg maximum.
The Capac Ñan was the Incas’ royal road. A system of roads about 20.000km long that joined the desert with the snow covered mountains. It allowed the Andean villages to receive the products coming from the sea and the sea villages to have wood and coca from the Andes and ritual feathers from the Amazon. The ancient Incas studied so well the characteristics of the land that designed the roads in a way that two points were always connected by the shortest possible road. They also built “tampus”, a kind of places to rest and eat during the longest distances. In general the roads are paved and have mill-races, stairs and tunnels. It may have 5metres width. Bridges are also very interesting: they look very fragile but they are still used by locals. The Inca Trail crosses along its 42 km nice Inca villages, fortresses and different landscapes: valleys, snow covered mountains and forests.

• Updated Aug 7, 2009

Comments

Elisabcn

“Put me on a plane already!!!”

Have you been to Ollantaitambo?