"My Own Personal account of trekking EBC" Top 5 Page for this destination Nepal Off The Beaten Path Tip by into-thin-air

Nepal Off The Beaten Path: 106 reviews and 150 photos

The "Boys" on top of Kala Pattar.
by into-thin-air

I started off with the bus from Kathmandu to Jiri in mid January – The weather was Good when I started to trek, warm days but cold nights, all was fine until Lamjura – then we went into deep snow about 2 hours before the summit, then going down towards Jumblasi conditions worsened with snow waist deep at times and sometimes even loosing the path, never-the-less we arrived in Jumblasi safe and sound and conditions improved, Crossing Kara Kola was again difficult because of snow, by this time it was frozen making the path a bit treacherous, in fact the path all the way up to Tengboche wasn’t all that cleaver with so much snow on the bridges that we did wonder if they would take the extra weight of us, so we crossed them one at a time - but again, taking care we arrived in Tengboche safe and sound. After Tengboche, Unbelievably we walked out of the snow and had a clear vertical snow free corridor all the way to almost the top of Kala Pattar.
The weather was Incredibly cold – when we awoke Inside the lodges there was ice on the outside of our sleeping bags most mornings.
There were lodges open all the way up to Lobuje, Gorak Shep was closed and we were lucky at Dhugla as the day we left the lodge owner closed up the lodge and took his yak down to Namche Bazaar to stock up with provisions for the coming spring trekking season – but other than those places it was business as usual.
From Lobuje we headed back down to Phortse Tango and from there made our way back up to Gokyo, again all snow free, then from Gokyo back to Namche, by this time the snow had also melted there and trekkers were heading up the Khumba like ants. We took a day of at Namche and headed down to Lukla for our flight back to Kathmandu and that was our trek. 28 days on the hill and a trek that I will never forget.

All the way From Tengboche to heading up the Gokyo Valley we had the lodges to ourselves, in fact we only met one other party of independent trekkers in the time we were in the Upper Khumba Valley.

I Hope that paints a picture of what you might expect trekking EBC in January / February, I would summarise this trek as one of the hardest I have ever done, but also one of the most rewarding too.

Good Luck
Rob

• Written Aug 3, 2009

Comments

into-thin-air Visits Here Frequently!

into-thin-air

“The Best People you Meet, You Meet on the Road !!!”

Have you been to Nepal?