"Walk Around The Island" Balicasag Island Things to Do Tip by cyndymc

Sr. Santiago Chapel
      Community Meeting Venue
      Balicasag Naval Detachment, Pic By Friend Joan Tan
    by cyndymc

The 25-hectare island can be toured in 30-45 minutes, depending on what you'd like to see. Aside from going to the Lighthouse and Watch Tower, you can have a glimpse of the community structures, have a feel of the simple living of Balicasag folks, and see the flora and fauna of the island.

After we placed our things in the picnic shed and ordered our food, our dolphin spotter/guide led us to see things around Balicasag. We just walked; there were no tricycles in the island. He brought us first to the Lighthouse and Watch Tower. Then, he brought us to their church which I imagined to be an old picturesque structure, but it turned out to be an ordinary looking chapel. He kept on walking and we kept on following him;-) He showed us their public school, basketball court and "Bahay Pulungan" (Community Meeting Venue) of local officials.

I thought, what's the big deal, what's extraordinary here? But I checked myself as I saw how kind and patient our guide was. I thought he might just be thinking how he could impress upon us that they also have a school, basketball court and Community Meeting Place there. In the province, it meant a lot to have those structures in their village.

Address: Balicasag Island

• Updated Aug 3, 2009

Comments

cyndymc

“Leave a positive mark wherever you go”

Have you been to Balicasag Island?