"Helmets or health?" Top 5 Page for this destination Cyclists & bicycle paths Tip by Nemorino

Cyclists & bicycle paths, Copenhagen: 15 reviews and 27 photos

2. Three more helmet-wearers
      3. Another three
      4. The last three
    by Nemorino

Only a very few cyclists in Copenhagen wear bicycle helmets, but I did manage to find a dozen of them for these four photo collages.

OK, the guy on the right in the first photo isn't riding a bicycle, but he is wearing a helmet, so I decided to include him just to make it an even dozen. If he falls off his horse he will presumably have some degree of protection against head injuries, but that won't help him much if he is trampled to death, will it?

As I have said before, I consider bicycle helmets to be a sensible precaution especially for children and for us elderly folks, since we are the ones who are most likely to fall off our bicycles for no reason, but I am not in favor of compulsory helmet laws because they dissuade people from cycling -- and the damage caused by not cycling far outweighs any slight increase in safety that a helmet might provide.

I have discussed this in more detail in a tip on my Amsterdam page called Why the Dutch don't wear bicycle helmets.

Also I have written a tip called Why I still wear a bicycle helmet even though the Dutch don't.

Recently there has been an emotional advertizing campaign in Denmark to promote helmet wearing. Bicycle advocates claim that the use of bicycles has declined by 5% as a result.

The website Copenhagenize.com includes an article entitled Helmets or health? which is very critical of the pro-helmet campaign, saying that bicycle helmets "should be a private matter and a personal choice" - and that helmet promotion and legislation "are the greatest threats to bicycle culture since the dawn of the automobile age."

Photos:
2. Three more helmet-wearers
3. Another three
4. The last three

Website: http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

• Updated Jun 29, 2011

Comments

Nemorino

“The world is full of wonderful places. Help keep them wonderful by not driving in them.”

Have you been to Copenhagen?