Gramercy Tavern: "WOW" Gramercy Tavern Tip by PALLINA

Gramercy Tavern, New York City: 5 reviews and 8 photos

Desserts or handcraft?
by PALLINA

This is the best restaurant I've tried in NYC and perhaps one of the best I've ever tried in my life. If you are not willing to spend MUCH for food, if you have plenty of kids asking for french fries and if you dont appreciate a certain standard of service, stop reading, this is not your place. But if you are a real "foody" like me and my husband and you can save in something else but not on food, this is your place. Founded some years ago by Tom Colicchio (Italian origin) now it has been greatly run by Michael Anthony for 3 years. It's quite big totalling all the rooms but still quite intimate, nicely decorated with flowers and vegetables, excellent service (great knowledge of wines as well, we tried a NY production....can you imagine grapes growing in NY?). For lunch you have menu à la carte, for dinner you can choose just between 3 different types of menù. We had a vegetarian menù and everything was amazingly tasty and greatly decorated. At the end, we got also a complimentary dessert and complimentary pralines (not to miss!!!). Ok, it's bloody expensive but absolutely to try if you love to eat and you are able to appreciate "research" in food as well.

Favorite Dish: We had a fantastic vegerian menu; everything was more than perfect

Address: 42 East 20th
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Gramercy Park, within walking distance from Union Square
Phone: 212-477-0777
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Eclectic/International
Website: http://www.gramercytavern.com

• Updated Jul 17, 2009

Comments

PALLINA

“we don't take trips, trips take us...”

Have you been to New York City?